Thursday, December 15, 2011

Label? What's wrong?

I have not written in this blog for a long time...coz I really busy at my work, life and family. A lot of challenges and issues to face everyday non-stop. And there is nothing perfect. I realize God let me experience so many challenges to prepare myself to become stronger though i admit i am a negative and weak person since I have gone through so many issues and burden within these two years since 2009.

Almost a month ago, the doctor has noticed Benjie may have speech delay, now he is 2 yr 9 mos old. I did not spot this problem before until the doctor told me. He wrote a referal letter for us to make appointment at the Gov't assessment centre for his speech delay. So we went and the nurse took test on him with various activities and asked us a lot of questions about the daily habit of Benjie. Without any recommendations or advice, the nurse just told us to wait another 6 months for the next appointment to see the doctor. And she asked us if we can pass along a questionnaire to Benjie's teacher so that this could help to understand Benjie's school life more. She did warn us as most of the parents prefer not to as they afraid the school to discriminate the child, but Benson said yes. So we met with the principal at Benjie's school (not Benjie's teacher tough which I also have no idea), she seems already spot his speech delay and told us that he is the only one in class who could not speak much, the teacher described him as "still like a baby". She even does not try to comfort us to offer any help to improve Benjie's speech problem.

Anyway, after that meeting with the principal, i immediately felt depressed because she makes us feel even worrying. But i was thinking, every kid is different and their learning pace are difference too, other kids can do it does not mean my kid MUST also do it at that pace. He only goes to school for not more than 3 months, why not giving him more time to see, my expectation is 6 months, not 3 months. The only positive thing is if he really have speech delay or autism, if we found it out now, we can take immediate and appropirate action to help him out at early stage.

I feel bad for myself, Benjie is such a cute boy, why him? The most worrying thing is not whether he is speech delay or having autism, it's how people around him labeling him or discriminating him...will he be treated as problematice kid? will he be treated fairly at school? will the teachers help him with proper action? Seems so helpess to me...I read a lot of information about the speech delay and autism, i personally do not feel that he is autism, i only recognize him may have speech delay, but there is a lot of other kids who only start to talk better in the age of 3, so why not wait and see?

I also feel very bad as my hubby does not know how to handle his emotion too. On that day after the meeting with the principal, both of us were in the bad mood coz it's very discouraging to hear the principal' s comments. He also lost his temper on me without any reason. He is so fierce and I really hate it, sometimes i think how can i tolerate this anymore? But when i think of Benjie, I know i can survive for him, I need to be stronger.

Coming this Friday we shall take him to the test at private assessment centre, at the same time we are lining up to make appointment at some non-private assessment and help centre for this, pray to God that we shall have fair and immediate help if he really got the problem.

No comments: